Reduce Energy Costs, Simplify Construction, and Improve Life-Safety using Precast Exteriors using Composite Design and Carbon Fiber Technology
Earn 1 AIA LU.
Learn how high-performance, fully composite insulated sandwich wall panels can be designed to reduce energy costs, enhance life-safety and streamline the job site, especially amid COVID-19 restrictions. We will explore the pros, cons, and attributes of wythe connectors such as carbon fiber trusses as well as panel insulation options, manufacturing and testing procedures, and installation methods. We will review projects that illustrate the broad range of building types and appearances that can be created.
- Discuss variety of wall design solutions and rationale for wall panel selection to achieve continuous insulation (c.i) requirements.
- Review various commercial types of wythe connectors (including carbon fiber grid trusses) for insulated precast walls including features and benefits for each in composite vs non-composite design
- Review common insulation foams and their properties in precast sandwich wall enclosures (EPS, GPS, XPS, polyiso, epoxy).
- Address manufacturing and design consideration aspects for precast concrete enclosures including finishing options.
- Detail successful case studies for insulated precast walls using carbon fiber reinforcing technology.
Blake Johnson, PE
Knife River Prestress
The Architect's Newspaper