Fiber Cement Panels as Rainscreens
- Sponsor: Nichiha
- Credits: 1 AIA HSW LU
- Format: One Video Segment
Moisture intrusion in a wall system can cause building defects and health ailments for building occupants. Rainscreens are an important tool in water mitigation. This course reviews the cause and effects of moisture intrusion and, more specifically, the forces that drive rainwater into a building. We will identify different rainscreen technologies and ASTM testing standards that measure their performance. We will discuss fiber cement panels and how they are used as a rainscreen to reduce moisture build-up and help to rot the interior walls and mold growth. By the end of the course you will understand basic design approaches and guidelines for installing fiber cement panels as a rainscreen.
Note: Certificates of Completion will be emailed in a PDF format for your records right away. Please allow for up to 3 to 4 weeks to receive AIA credit for the course.
- Describe the cause and effect of moisture intrusion in a wall system.
- Examine the importance of rainscreens and weather barriers in water mitigation.
- Identify examples of rainscreen technology and testing standards that measure their performance.
- Discuss how some fiber cement panels act as a rainscreen and review guidelines for their installation as a rainscreen.