BACK TO ONLINE COURSES
Redefining Rooftops: Understanding Rooftop Deck Systems
- Sponsor: Bison
- Credits: 1 AIA LU HSW
Exterior Improvements, Finishes, Thermal and Moisture Protection, Wood, Plastics, Composites
- Format: One Video Segment
Rooftop decks create valuable living and recreational space for building owners, residents, and clients. Accommodating restaurants, hotels, healthcare facilities, and everything from residential to government buildings, rooftop deck systems offer the design flexibility to create versatile, unique outdoor spaces over any structural surface. This course explores the features, surface materials, and design options for rooftop deck systems and provides an overview of recommended planning and installation guidelines.
Note: Certificates of Completion will be emailed in a PDF format for your records right away. Please allow for up to 3 to 4 weeks to receive AIA credit for the course.
- Identify the key features of deck supports, including their weight bearing capacities, durability, and height and slope adjustability, that enable precise deck leveling and a safe, structurally sound rooftop deck.
- Recall appropriate installation conditions for rooftop decking systems, and provide installation guidelines to facilitate a durable and level deck installation that meets structural, loading, and building code requirements.
- Discuss the benefits of rooftop deck systems and their site furnishings, including the health benefits to building occupants and the environmental attributes of the materials used.
- Describe customization options for rooftop decking systems, and reference case studies to illustrate how a unique, usable outdoor space can be installed over any structural surface.