« BACK TO ONLINE COURSES
Functional Creativity with Ornamental Metals in Public Buildings
- Sponsor: Ornamental Metal Institute of New York
- Credits: 1 LU
- Format: Two Segments
Ornamental metals have purposes that enhance both visual aesthetics and building functions. In high-profile urban projects, from retrofits of landmarked buildings to new components of transportation infrastructure, steel and aluminum components allow dramatic gestures, novel geometries, optimization of the materials’ properties, and purposeful contrasts in texture and form. The practical complications of combining customized metal pieces with other materials, particularly on retrofit projects, call for an understanding of those properties and hands-on experience with the details of construction.
Certificates of Completion will be emailed in a PDF format for your records. Please allow for up to 3 to 4 week to receive your certificate.
- Recognize features of design and construction that have advanced the state of the art in using ornamental metals
- Reconceive the distinction between ornamental and functional or structural metals
- Identify properties of ornamental metals that are particularly useful in prominent buildings
- Understand the level of design, coordination, and skilled onsite work that goes into public buildings with high-visibility ornamental-metal components
- Demonstrate familiarity with contemporary case studies in which innovative use of ornamental metals improves occupants’ quality of life and the buildings’ aesthetics
- Describe to clients the return on investment in ornamental metals, assessed in both tangible and intangible terms