BACK TO ONLINE COURSES
ALT CES 120 – Reduce Energy Costs, Simplify Construction, and Improve Life-Safety using Precast Exteriors with Composite Design and Carbon Fiber Technology
- Sponsor: Altus Group
- Credits: 1 AIA HSW
- Format: One Video Segment
Learn how high-performance, fully composite insulated sandwich wall panels can be designed to reduce energy costs, enhance life-safety and streamline the job site, especially amid COVID-19 restrictions. We will explore the various attributes of wythe connectors including carbon fiber grid trusses for precast sandwich wall enclosures as well as panel insulation options, manufacturing, testing and installation methods. We will review projects that illustrate the broad range of building types and appearances that can be created and delivered.
Note: Certificates of Completion will be emailed in a PDF format for your records right away. Please allow for up to 3 to 4 weeks to receive AIA credit for the course.
- Discuss variety of wall design solutions and rationale for sandwich wall panel selection to achieve continuous insulation (c.i) requirements.
- Review various commercial types of wythe connectors (including carbon fiber grid trusses) for insulated precast sandwich walls including features and benefits for each in composite versus non-composite design
- Review common insulation foams and their properties in precast sandwich wall enclosures (EPS, GPS, XPS, polyiso, epoxy).
- Address manufacturing and design consideration aspects for precast concrete enclosures including finishing options.
- Detail successful case studies for insulated precast walls using carbon fiber reinforcing technology.